Sunday, January 26, 2014

Time marches on. Anyone seen a large boulder?


I am a fan of Arthur Ransome's children's books written in the 1930's about UK Lake District sailing adventures. They are very collectable now-a-days. A great attraction are the line drawings of what's going on. Just a few lines will describe a lot. Ages ago I experimented with this style of sketching and did a drawing of myself and friend fishing the Hydro Pool on the Tongariro River, as shown opposite.

This dates the period roughly. A favourite spot to fish from, or watch the action, was from top of the huge boulder located at the mouth of the tiny stream said to be a favourite for spawning brown trout. Now the boulder has gone, being washed away during large flood. I can't see it on Google Earth. Has anyone seen it down stream? Note I am smoking a pipe. The huge rise in tobacco tax has practically wiped out smoking in New Zealand and Australia. Happy New Year from Allano.

No comments:

Post a Comment